- Always ask for more money at your job, even if you don’t think you deserve it.
- Try to be kind to the people who are rude to you. It’s not personal, they’re just having a really bad day/month/life.
- Don’t go to doctors that advertise. Ask a friend for a recommendation.
- If you are hungover, drink water, eat a banana and try to sleep it off.
- If you believe in opportunity, opportunity will present itself.
- Sometimes when things are really bad, you just have to go through the motions of your life until they get better.
- Surround yourself by only the books, images, music and people that make you happy.
- Your ability to speak honestly about your weaknesses, failures and disappointments is your greatest strength.
- Nothing is more fulfilling than helping other people.
- There really are plenty of fish in the sea.
- Wear sunscreen or a hat when you’re in strong sunlight.
- You need to take the big risk, even if it scares the living crap out of you.
- Sometimes water is thicker than blood.
- Shoes that are too tight can be stretched by a shoemaker.
- Don’t worry about living a life that looks good on paper.
- Go to the gynecologist every year, even if you hate it.
- Be careful about confiding personal information. Relationships change.
- Go to events and parties and lectures you have no interest in going to.
- Ask yourself what you want. Then take the necessary steps to get it.
- Don’t stay in a bad relationship because of the anticipated misery of a breakup.
- When you have a headache, drink a glass of water before you do anything else. It might just be dehydration.
- Anyone worth having sex with should think that you’re gorgeous the way you are.
- When people are speaking gibberish English with a bunch of unrelated words strung together they’re usually talking about a band.
- Just because you’re in love doesn’t mean you’re with the right person.
- You can have a fulfilling life without ever having kids.
- Do what comes naturally to you, it’s what you’ll have the most success at.
- Be thankful that things you wished for didn’t come true. Know that this will happen again.
- Let yourself be happy when you’re happy.
- Force yourself to overcome your fears.
- Remember that no one else has it figured out either.
Lonely nights are significantly harder than lonely days…
I ain’t settling for just getting by,
I’ve had enough so-so for the rest of my life,
I’m tired of shooting too low, so I’ll raise the bar high,
"Just enough" ain’t enough this time.
- Settlin’ by Sugarland
Maybe this happy ending doesn’t include a wonderful guy. Maybe it’s you, on your own, picking up the pieces and starting over — freeing yourself up for something better in the future. Maybe the happy ending is just moving on.
—"Gigi" from He’s Just Not That Into You
It ain’t pretty and it ain’t easy and it ain’t a straight shot to the top. It’s a long, hard, rambling journey. There will be falls, scrapes, bumps and bruises. There will be mornings when you don’t want to wake up. But then one day, you DO wake up and there you are — you’ve made it.
There are plenty of others willing to call you a failure. A fool. A loser. A hopeless souse! Don’t you ever say it of yourself. You send out the wrong signal. That is what people pick up. Do you understand? If you care about something fight for it. You hit a wall, push through it. There’s something you need to know about failure, Tintin: You can never let it defeat you.
—Captain Haddock, The Adventures of Tintin (via quote-book)